What is Poly Furniture?
Poly lumber is made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE), UV-inhibited pigment systems, foaming compounds, and selected process additives. The HDPE primary raw material is derived from post-consumer bottle waste, such as milk and detergent bottles or other HDPE post industrial material. This material is cleaned by a decontamination process to a high purity level, which removes contaminants such as food residue, paper, and adhesives. It is then compounded into a rigid board stock material; with the resulting finished product containing over 90% recycled plastic by weight. This material is then used for furniture and other applications where wood is traditionally used. The benefits for the environment are:
- No trees are used to make this material
- Tons of plastic are reused keeping it out of our landfills
- No harsh chemicals need to be used in maintaining this product (just clean with soap and water)
A literal rainbow of colors available
Because HDPE products are made with a single, purified polymer, they are manufactured to exacting, reproducible specifications such as common lumber dimensions. Poly has exceptional resistance to corrosive substances, oil and fuels, insects, fungi, salt spray, and other environmental stresses. They do not absorb moisture; therefore, they will not rot, splinter, or crack. HDPE products have excellent weathering resistance. These products require no water proofing, painting, staining, or similar maintenance when used in many exterior applications.
Besides keeping plastic bottles from taking up space in landfills for hundreds of years there other benefits to creating outdoor furniture from poly?
- It is extremely durable and resistant to nearly anything Mother Nature throws its way. Poly plastic furniture can be left outside in the summer and winter without any adverse effects. The plastic is resistant to sun, rain, sleet, snow, wind, saltwater, chlorine and mildew. You can’t say that about furniture made from wood or metal; wood splinters and rots, while metal rusts.
- Poly furniture is low maintenance and easy to care for; it requires no special coatings, sanding or staining. It does not require hazardous chemical treatments to maintain its durability. Poly only needs to be cleaned with some good, old-fashioned soap and water.
- It is resistant to corrosive substances, oil and fuels, insects, and salt sprays; since plastic does not absorb moisture, furniture made from poly will not rot, splinter, or crack. A solution of 1/3 bleach and 2/3 water removes any fungi build up.
- It is well built and constructed. The poly lumber will last a lifetime.
- It comes in a large variety of colors, such as white, sand, green, black, teak, and mahogany. So you are sure to find something that suits your personality and taste.
- Another great characteristic of poly-lumber furniture is that it does not fade.
- Poly chairs have more weight than cheap, plastic ones so they will not blow away in strong winds.
Tables and chairs made from poly furniture are stylish, sophisticated, and most importantly, comfortable. It doesn’t get much better, in my opinion. So next time you’re enjoying an afternoon or evening on the patio in your recycled poly chairs, know that you are doing your part to help the environment by doing nothing other than sitting down. (garden.com)
Lots of styles and color choices
Can I power wash my poly furniture?
A high pressure power washer may be used for regular maintenance to keep your furniture looking like new. Pressure should not exceed 1,500 psi, which is the equivalent of a car wash. The surface characteristics of the product may require the use of a soft bristle brush to get into the creases.